A new arrival on the scene since the end of 2009 is the Mekong Islands, a luxury river cruise boat offering 4 day cruises to the stunning Si Pan Don (4,000 Islands) of Southern Laos. The Mekong Islands was constructed in 2009 and is the sister to the Mekong Explorer and Mekong Sun, which operate along the northern stretches of the river in Lao.
Mekojng Islands cruises start from Pakse, the capital of Champasak province, which is easily accessible by flight from Vientiane and Luang Prabang, or from Siem Reap (Angkor) in Cambodia, and by crossing the Thai border from Ubon Ratchathani.
During the 7-day cruise guests will also get a chance to enjoy a day trip to the beauty of the Bolovens Plateau with its many waterfalls and panoramic views of the surrounding plains of South Laos.
Amenities onboard the MV Mekong Islands:
- Two decks with 11 cabins in two categories
- All cabins twin bedded, with en suite shower/WC and air conditioning
- Eight Classic cabins (approx. 108 sq. ft.) on the main deck with a big window providing fantastic views of the surpassing landscapes
- Three Superior cabins (approx. 108 sq. ft.) on the upper deck all with wide sliding panoramic windows and a French balcony
- Large sun deck on the top deck
- Restaurant/bar area on the upper deck
- All offshore excursions guided in English
- European Cruise director on board (English and German speaking)
Two decks with 11 classic cabins on the main deck, all facing out onto the water. 8 of the cabins have large picture windows while the 3 superior cabins features sliding windows with a French balcony providing a fantastic view of the passing landscapes. All cabins are air conditioned and feature private facilities and twin bedded accommodation, as well as ample storage for your luggage.
Delicious Lao, Thai and international meals are served in the restaurant. A selection of international and local wines, spirits and beers are available on baord, as well as soft drinks and bottled mineral water.
There is a sun deck, with easy chairs, sun lounges and small service bar on the top deck. Shore excursions to villages, towns, markets and other sites are guided by very experienced, multi-lingual guides.